Sunday

To Snip or not to snip

To Snip or not to snip....

Well it is almost that time, we are considering having Denali neutered, or not. I never dreamed that this would be such a difficult decision to make. My previous dog was no problem, just a simple decision - snip - that was the only choice (mind you I was a young teenager when it came around to having this done, and my parents probably made the choice ultimately).

I guess the question that I like to ask is rather, is the procedure required? Do the pro's out weight the cons? For my wife and I we used to enjoy taking Denali to the off leash dog park, which has a mandatory neuter law in place. Unfortunately we have not been able to attend this park for months now. There are still plenty of other parks in the city which we frequent though. On the other hand Denali's training has come along very well and he does not have any problem with "humping" around the house or other dogs. Is it necessary to cause him unneeded harm?

Another factor that plays into effect is the age of the dog. From my research most breeds of dogs can be neutered around the age of 6 months when doggy puberty hits. Some vets may suggest to have it done before this age. However when consulting our vet, it was suggested that we wait till he is well past 1 year to fully ensure his proper development as is typical in larger breeds.

The other issue which we hear most about is aggression. This would be enough to sway my vote for the decision if he had any type of aggression towards humans or other dogs. Fortunately he doesn't, which makes the decision that much more difficult. However with some more research with the ridgeback breed I found several cases in which the dogs became MORE aggressive after the procedure! That is a scary thought, I can't imagine what I would do if we had a 90lbs aggressive dominant dog around the house.

With all these things to consider, we are at a bit of cross roads and still have not made the decision. I will keep posted how we work this out.


Cheers.

-Aaron


1 comment:

  1. I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback Stud dog (Spencer) and he is 9 years old. He is a perfect gentleman. I also have his son, and many of his littermates out there over the years, and many are still stud dogs. All perfect gentlemen.

    I have been breeding Ridgebacks for 15 years, and have seen many, and *most* Studs are really great, no problems with marking in the house. The only time I have seen a Ridgeback maek in the house is if they have lived most of their lives outside. Otherwise, its never a problem.

    Anyhow, I vote NO! That is, of course, as long as you are a responsible owner and your dog has good manners ;)

    BTW - if you are interested, you can wander on over to www.ridgebackpuppies.com. Those are all my crew, and having Ridgebacks around has been one of the best pleasures of my life. I am sure you agree!

    ReplyDelete